Failure is not an option! I had heard this quote before, but something happened back in July this year…
1. The Message: Failure Is Not An Option!
One night, my 10th-Grader daughter came back from her Girl Scouts trip to New York and Washington DC. We all already had dinner and was sitting at my desk working. She walked up to me, gave me a hug and then gives me a postcard!
We typically don't exchange post cards or any cards for that matter anymore. So, this was a total surprise to me.
She said, “This is for your business. I wanted to mail it, but didn't have a stamp. And, sorry it got bent a bit”.
I looked at the card and saw it read “FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION”.
I almost cried and said to my daughter, “It's OK. The message is Loud & Clear”.
It was a card from Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. A photo of that card is shown in the image at the top of this post.
Wow! I wasn't expecting that at all! I said to myself “I better keep going!”
And, this incident also revealed something about my daughter. If she could think of this while she is still in her high school, I am sure she will do well in her life. Way better than what I have accomplished in mine!
People who have this type of attitude, will do well in their lives – personal and work.
2. My Business and Thoughts of Quitting
I planned for starting up my business for about a year before establishing it in June of last year. Then, I launched my website (LeadershipFocusHQ.com) in October of last year.
I can't tell you how many times I felt like giving up – how many times I thought of failure. How many times I thought it's too late. I don't have time. Can't do it… Got other priorities.
Having a day job and hustling on the side is not easy. But, I AM passionate about helping people with things like:
- Teach what I know – my life experiences.
- Tips and techniques of doing things efficiently.
- How to deal with stressful situations?
- How to be most productive given any situation?
- How to “Train Your Brain” so that you don't quit before even starting? For example, going to gym, eating healthy, etc.
- How to Work Less – Get More Done. Build Trust. Achieve More.
- How to lead teams, build trust, help people grow. Be a Great Leader!
There is no way I will quit. Failure is not an option. No matter how slow my business grows. No matter how long it takes to get that first paying client. Period!
Writing and sharing this story and my thoughts, makes me a bit vulnerable. But, I know, vulnerability helps build trust. And, I am all about trust and integrity.
How about you? Have you ever thought of quitting what's was important to you? Ever thought of giving up before you even started? Things like:
- Not making that important phone call
- Not signing up for a gym membership
- Not getting enough sleep. Saying to yourself you can't – got too much to do?
- Not slowing down? Heading towards burnout?
Comment below and share your thoughts.
If you need coaching or consulting help, apply for a Discovery Session here.
Thanks for your interest!